My Birthday Party

 

My birthday party (now over a week ago) was amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better 19th Nigerian-style birthday.

It all started when the kids got home from school. The mommies had been cooking and frying food up all day long, and I had just assumed it was for future use... like preparing food in advance for the next week or something. Turns out it was for my party (!) and I only found out when the kids came home.

Everyone got off the bus and ran upstairs to get changed into their party clothes. Someone let me in on the fact that I was having a birthday party, so I got changed too.

We all sat down in the sitting room and one of the mommies prayed for us. Even though it was in Yoruba, it was lovely (can I say that?) Then we sang worship songs, and then the kids sang me birthday songs. That was so incredibly special. I mean, a children's choir of Nigerian kids all singing for me? Who'd have thought I would ever experience that. (Not going to lie, I got a little emotional).

Then we ate our food, and had a dance party. During the dance party, I brought out some glow sticks from Canada that I had been saving for a special occasion. The kids had never seen them before, so it was pretty exciting.


I feel so blessed to be here with these kids.

Comments

  1. This was so happy to read, Sierra! I love your stories from Nigeria and can't wait to hear more when you come home! I've been following your blog the whole time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was cool, Sierra. I got emotional just reading about it! Those are two very cool pictures too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts